If we’re all being honest, we have all spent a Valentine’s Day feeling the pressure of needing to have “someone” to spend it with. I’ve never been in a formal relationship and at 28 I’ve never spent Valentine’s Day with a boy — other than my dad …hi dad! For years it bothered me that I was single year after year with no one to spend it with. Now I truly do not care at all! In the last few years something switched inside of me and I realized that Valentine’s Day is so much more than having a boyfriend to share it with. (By the way, the history of Valentine’s Day is actually super fascinating, if you want to read about it click here.) Valentine’s becomes so much more enjoyable when you recognize it for what is it, a day to celebrate love! Love comes in so many forms, we all have some kind of love in our lives to celebrate. For me, I love to celebrate the relationships I have with my family, my friends, and most importantly the relationship I have with myself! That all looks differently every year. This year my family is spread all over the country, my friends are spread about too, and I’m in a season where self love has become something I work on daily, this year’s Valentine’s definitely needs to have the spirit of intentionality. For my family, a call or a text reminding them each how much I love them is how I hope to make them all feel loved. For my girlfriends and for myself, that’s where Galentine’s Day comes in…
Some may call it a fake holiday but I don’t care. In the words of one of my favorite women ever, “Galentine’s is the best day of the year.” – Leslie Knope. Last year I hosted a Galentine’s party where I made gift bags for everyone, had balloons all over my apartment, set up a table with pizzas and salads, and a cocktail bar! It was so much fun to get different friends together and celebrate being friends!
Sadly my girlfriends and I don’t have plans this year, with sickness, grad school, babies, etc., Galentine’s totally snuck up on me this year! But this weekend we did all go out to dinner and celebrate one of my best friend’s birthdays which turned into a Galentine’s of sorts!
I’ve found as I’ve gotten older that it really becomes harder and harder to make plans with your friends! Everyone has busy schedules, with work, spouses, trips, kids, etc., I’ve found that the moments I do get to spend with them are precious. So even if I’m not physically with them on the day, that doesn’t mean I/we can’t celebrate. Galentine’s is also a great day to celebrate the love you have for yourself. For me, I am always working on how to proctorize my self care, so for a day like today where I don’t have Galentine’s plans, it’s a great excuse to love on me!
If you’re like me and you’re celebrating Galentine’s/Valentine’s alone, maybe your friends don’t live in your city, or they’re busy, here are some ideas for how to spend your day/night loving on your friends from afar while also prioritizing yourself:
- Stop by Trader Joes or your local grocery store and pick up a bouquet of flowers for yourself! I even like to pick several, go home and make my own arrangement. Flowers will always brighten your space and your day.
- Light some candles and run a bubble bath
- Call up one of your girlfriends and have a phone date!
- Better yet, if your friends are far away, set up a zoom date!
- Buy a new lipstick
- Buy yourself something to wear on your next night out!
- Put on a facial mask, lay down and listen to a meditation while you let the mask soak in.
- Pop some popcorn and watch your favorite movie
- Take THE shower…iykyk. I’m talking shave, scrub, exfoliate, wash, condition, etc etc
- Wrap yourself up in some blankets and get cozy with a new book!
- Write letters to your friends! I LOVE snail mail. I always feel loved when I can see that a friend took the time to mail me something personal.
- Put on your favorite podcast or audio book, grab some paper, watercolors, and sit down to paint! Don’t think too hard on what to paint, just let your hands move. It’s so therapeutic to get lost while painting.
I know I’m planning on curling up on the couch with Winnie, making some pasta, enjoying some wine, and watching one of my favorite movies. Right now I’m debating between “Under The Tuscan Sun” or “First Wives Club”. Both are two of my all time favorite movies. Nothing like a little romance mixed in with female empowerment!
Something to remember to this Galentine’s and Valentine’s is that social media isn’t real. You may see posts of parties or events or get togethers you weren’t invited to and feel like something is wrong with you. Listen to me when I say, there is nothing wrong with you. Social media is a highlight reel! You don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes of a photo or video, and very rarely do people share those details on social. Celebrate the love you have in your life in whatever way you want!
And if none of this appeals to you, then remember that Valentine’s is just another day and it will be the 15th before ya know it 🤷♀️
I hope if you are celebrating that you know just how loved you are! I love ya and I don’t even know ya!
I LOVE YOU!!!